Thursday, June 20, 2013

Coconut Oil

You have probably heard the hype in recent months about the amazing-ness of coconut oil.  Many people have started cooking with it with an understanding that it is healthier than butter or other types of oil.  I myself do not cook with it, because of its high content of saturated fat.  Regardless of whether or not you think it's healthy to eat, it is definitely healthy for the skin!  Coconut oil is loaded with nutrients, such as vitamin E, as well as infection-fighting anti-microbial properties.  Where am I going with this?

...straight to my baby's bum!

Let me briefly tell you my story.  For 4 months we fought my son's never-ending yeast infection.  We tried nystatin, clotrimazole - over-the-counter, and prescription strength.  We even tried our pediatricians own made up concoction put together at the pharmacy specifically for us.  For four months I continued to follow the doctor's orders of applying cream 3-4 times per day (and messing with diaper liners to protect my cloth diapers), but the yeast infection persisted.  Giving up on western medicine, I began doing my own research when I came across the healing properties of coconut oil.  I had some around for my own use while breast feeding and tried it immediately on my baby's raw bum.  No joke - within three days, the yeast infection was gone!  A-maz-ing!  Fortunately, my baby hasn't developed other types of rashes, but I can imagine the coconut oil is worth trying on any type of skin irritation.  I now use it twice a day to prevent any skin break-down.  I also use GroVia's Magic Stick, which is a great product and really easy to use on-the-go.

Did I mention coconut oil is SAFE for cloth diapers?  Yes, it is!  Because it contains 100% natural ingredients, the oil will wash right out of the diapers without causing any build up problems.  It's also inexpensive and can be found in most grocery stores these days.  It's even pretty cheap on Amazon.  Coconut oil is my new best friend, and it will be yours as soon as you try it!

What have been your experiences with coconut oil?

No comments:

Post a Comment